Expat Movers About Expat Movers Expat Movers Services Expat Movers - What People Say Expat Movers Forms Useful Tips Contact Us

A foreigner may import used household goods and personal effects into Laos duty free if he or she has diplomatic status or works for a registered for an NGO. For customs clearance we require:
  1. The shipper must provide JVK with an official letter from their employer verifying his/her employment status. There is a standard format for this letter and JVK can advise how to make it.
  2. Copies of the employers' investment license and business license will also required for non-diplomats.
  3. Bill of Lading, packing list and passport copy.
If the above criteria are met, only one sea and one air shipment are permitted duty free, and the shipper can only import one each of any electrical appliances duty free.

Foreigners employed with prvate companies in Laos will have to pay duty on personal effects

Returning Lao nationals who have lived abroad for more than a year can import used personal effects duty free.

As sea shipments first enter Thailand before being transported in-bond to Laos, please ensure that the bill lading shows "In-transit to Vietnam, Laos via Bangkok, Thailand".

Goods prohibited from entering Laos include firearms, ammunition, pornographic material, and anti-communists publication.


Foreign diplomats may import a vehicles into Laos duty free.
For all other foreigners and returning Lao nationals, please inquire with JVK before shipping so that we can ensure the consignee has the necessary permits to import. Duties may be assessed and are based on the type, age and engine size of the vehicles.


Most pets, including dogs, cats, and birds, can be brought into Laos with no quarantine period. The documents necessary at the time of import are a current health certificate (not more than 7 days old) and a current vaccination card.

EXPAT MOVERS cannot take responsbility for the contents of this page. As customs regulations may vary from time to time.